Friday, November 17, 2006

Thundersez: 06 in '07

The problem: BT is out of shape. Badly out of shape. As in, worse than usual.

The solution: BT gets off his butt and runs. Runs like the wind!

The problem with that solution: BT is lazy, and will likely abandon such a plan within weeks, if not days.

The solution to the problem with that solution: Peer pressure!

Therefore, consider this an official, Golden Spike-endorsed announcement:

BT will successfully train for and complete six half-marathons during 2007.

There. It has been said. It can't be removed (well, except for blogger's editing function, with which I technically could remove it). Everyone (well, both of you) who reads this blog will know this and hold me to it. The goal is to get to the point where I am in consistently good enough shape to be able to just go out some random day and take a long (8+ mile) run without too much difficulty. That conditioning would certainly mean that I'm much healthier than I am currently.

This is the first in a series of "06 in '07" posts, where I will keep the Spikeheads up to date on the latest training and results. To start with, some background - despite my considerable girth, I have actually run two half-marathons (my college motto? "Run like an antelope, shaped like a cantaloupe"). The first was in from Napa to Sonoma, and the second was around Monterey, CA. For neither did I properly train (and in fact, I walked about half of the 12th mile of the Monterey race). Though I don't recall the exact numbers, I know I finished each around the 2:15 mark, which is very slow.

So in the coming year, I will run one race every 2 months or so. The first is on February 7 in San Francisco, around the Golden Gate park area. The goal for the first? To complete it without any breaks. That should be easily attainable. In subsequent races, I'm going to start developing time goals, to ensure that I improve my performance from race to race.

Since making the 06 in '07 decision, I've gone on a few basic 3-milers , and in just the 3 or 4 times out, can already feel significant improvement. I need to get consistent in my scheduling, though, to be sure that I get at least 3 runs in per week, with one of them being a long run.

That's it for the first 06 in '07 report. More to come, likely next month.


Now back to your regularly-scheduled Spike

Say you're a lawyer. Perhaps even an Ivy League-edumacated lawyer like Dave Law and myself. You're representing a crook. Wouldn't it be best if you choose not to dress him like a bad guy in a cartoon? Especially a character who's last name isn't too far from your client's last name? Don't get me wrong, I understand that he's completely guilty, but its like he is advertising his guilt.

Say what you will about the adult film industry (and really, there is a lot to say), but the bottom line is that there are some very talented writers in the industry that come up with hilarious movie titles as plays on "legit" movie names. We all fondly recall "Shaving Ryan's Privates," "Sorest Rump," "Sperms of Endearment," and "White Men Can't Hump." Well, the other day, while listening to Loveline on my drive home from work, I heard my new favorite: "If These Balls Could Talk." For whatever reason, I laugh every time I think of it. Brilliant! Incidentally, while doing some "research" for this post, I came across a funny site that lists all of these names.

Finally, time to do a complete 180 and bring up a serious - and very interesting - story. At a UVA frat party in 1984, a little too much booze was flowing. One of the frat brothers took a freshman girl back to his room, and, while the details of what happened are in dispute, he raped her. Fast forward to 2005, when the guy is in Alcoholics Anonymous. When he reaches Step 9 - making amends with the people you've hurt - he contacts his victim of 21 years earlier. Now he's going to prison for the crime. The article is compelling and thought-provoking. I'm interesting to hear reactions from our loyal readers. I'll give mine in the comments section a little later.

11 Comments:

At 7:04 AM, Blogger Dave Law said...

I have no comment to your cheap shot about UVA Greeks being alcoholics and date rapists, except the dude was a Phi Psi - 'nough said.

I spent the whole weekend burning up the search engines trying to find a similarly disparaging story about a Bucknell alum, but came up empty. You win this round BT.

UVA soccer did beat Cal on Sat. and advanced to the Elite 8.

 
At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i REALLY want to see big thunder "run like the wind." maybe he can do it while singing:

And I got such a long way to go.
To make it to the border of Mexico.
So I'll ride like the wind.
Gonna run like the wind.

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps: big thunder and dave law may be sad to hear this.....

"Is Jessica Biel being wooed by a man who's just as athletic as she is? The hard-bodied starlet reportedly spent some time this week in the company of New York Yankee Derek Jeter, although he's apparently yet to round first base. On Monday, the baseballer was spied massaging Biel's shoulders and flirting with her into the wee hours at Los Angeles hotspot Hyde...they were "laughing and giggling together" as they "huddled" in a corner of the club." awwww

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Dave Law said...

Jeter is a pimp. Congratulations to him, but he was rumored to have been hanging out with Vanessa Minillo a few months ago before she was snaked by Nick Lachey. In my opinion Jessica Biel is downgrade from Minillo (in the same way that a Porsche is a downgrade from a Bugatti) - then again anyone's better than crazy ol' Mariah.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Dave Law said...

Why not just run 3 full marathons? It's the same distance altogether.

Anyway, I figure if Lance Armstrong can run a whole marathon with 1 nut, I can run half of a marathon with 2. I'll commit to "run" one half-marathon with my brother of the blog BT.

Preferably the Las Vegas 1/2 Marathon.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Big Thunder said...

The Vegas half is in December, and is almost surely going to be #6 of '07...

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate running. Why can't there be a better way to get in shape, like say... eating? That I'm good at.

Interesting article, BT. Beebe's an idiot! He did something terrible and got away with it. Why on earth would he confess 20 years later? But I'm glad he did. Now justice can be served and he'll get what he deserves.

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just one other thing....can one of you enlightened men please explain to me why the girl pictured in your previous post has two bra straps on one shoulder??? ive been trying to figure it out since the picture went up. is it in case she loses an arm, her bra will remain firmly in place? ha

and, big swingin d....nice name

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Big Thunder said...

A - I don't know the answer to that question, but thank you for giving me a reason to look at the picture again.

D - Thanks for reading the article. At least we have one serious commenter. The scenario in the article can't be unique. Surely AA members have contacted people whose lives they have devestated. And certainly, that contact has, in many cases, been incredibly painful for the victims (in the sense that it reopens a wound). While it is certainly a good thing that addicts own up to their past transgressions, at some point the net result of such an apology might be a negative. And that doesn't even consider that fact that the guy is now going to jail. Maybe AA will remove, or put restrictions on, that step?

Also, not to defend a rapist - certainly what he did was horrible and indefensible - but it seems a little extreme to have no statute of limitations on the crime at all. Though, I guess if the guy gives a full confession, that pretty much eliminates the need for the statute of limitations...

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read the article too. whats with AA requiring everyone to admit that God exists? with that kind of crazy talk, no wonder they also advocate step 9, aka, ruining other peoples lives....

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it's to wear with one of those tarzan looking dresses that only have one shoulder covered. And again, thanks for the reason to look at the picture!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home