Monday, February 04, 2008

Taste in Music, and how it changes



My parents are getting ready to retire and move away from the house of my youth. It is depressing but times must change. Everytime I visit now, my father has a box of my old stuff that he tries to put in my car when I am not looking. Last trip home it was a box of old cassettes. After going through the box and throwing away most it, I came across some mixed tapes I made.

Here is an example.

"Spring Break Mix march 1996"

Side A

1. Lose - (?)

2. Bob - Primus

3. This Time of year - Better than Ezra

4. Shade - Silverchair

5. All in theGroove -Blues Traveler

6. Sober - Tool

7. Galaxy - Blind Melon

8. Insane in the Brain - Cypress Hill

9. Friend of the Devil - Greatful Dead

10. Grind - Alice in Chains

11. Feed the Tree - Belly

12. River of Deceit - Mad Season

Side B

1. Silent Lucidity - Queensrych

2. Time - Pink Floyd

3. Ironic - Alanis Morrisette

4. Someday Never Comes - CCR

5. Jane Says - Jane's Addiction

6. Shout - Tears For Fears

7. Cry in the Sun - Better than Ezra

Talk about all over the place. I guess Alanis Morrisette and Belly fit right in there with Tool, Silverchair, and Primus. I'll bet some of the older ones are even better.

5 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Dave Law said...

Spring Break '96 - AWESOME! I drove to Panama City, Florida with 3 friends. No mix tapes, just a CD book. We listened to The Police Live Double CD several times on that trip. (editorial note: BT hates the Police - if "hate" is strong enough) Of course Dave Matthews Band was also big.

However, in my opinion, the second half of the '90s was a golden age for hip hop and rap. The best and last Notorious B.I.G. and TuPac music came from that decade as well as Snoop, Jay-Z Puff Daddy(as he was known in those days), and the Beastie Boys. This is when hip hop/rap really became mainstream.

Hair bands defined the '80s' music scene, grunge in the early '90s and hip/rap in the late '90s.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Big Thunder said...

I would have put money on "The Freshman" by The Verve Pipe being on that tape.

Or if it was Dave Law's tape, "Strawberry Wine" would be on there for sure.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Dave Law said...

Strawberry Wine was the favorite song of my college girlfriend during that time.

If you're going to paint me with a country brush, I was partial to Callin' Baton Rouge.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Dave Law said...

In addition to DMB, rap and Garth Brooks, I do recall owning a mix CD with "Save Tonight" by Eagle Eye Cherry, and "Sill Not a Player" by Big Pun (or was it Fat Joe?) and "My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit.


These were the songs that spoke to me in college.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger lil' thunder said...

My first reaction to this post was that I didn't think any guy besides Dave Coulier had Alanis on a mix tape. Then I read these comments, and I just gotta say, I kinda heart Dave(pre)Law's music taste.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home