Tuesday, November 20, 2007

In Defense of Football (Soccer) Flops

One of the Thunder Man's biggest criticism of the beautiful game is that he can't stand the flopping. Not that these clips justify the flopping in soccer, but they demonstrate that professional athletes will do anything to get an edge - cream, the clear, locking out Scott Boras. It's a character trait that helps get them to the highest level.



Flop 2: Horry v. Boozer (I'm not sure who the color man is during this broadcast, but his reaction is great.)

Flop 3: Raja Bell v. Ginobli (Playoff flop)


A quick YouTube search will turn up plenty of soccer flops. And I know BT will argue that none of the flops I posted above were clearly outcome determinative, like Grosso's flop in the box v. Australia in the 2006 World Cup. My only reply to that is: "Practice makes perfect."


P.S. I hated the idea of posting on top of Brooke Burke, so here's some Kristen Kreuk (Lana Lang from Smallville).


2 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Big Thunder said...

Those are some reasonably good flops (when you highlighted raja bell and manu ginobli, I would have bet my life that Manu was the flopper), but nothing compares to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h213GJo76sQ

I really don't mind the initial flop. It is the flailing of the arms, rolling around on the ground, crying, bringing the stretcher onto the field, and stopping the game for five minutes, then getting the magic spray, and heroically running back onto the field that gets me. I'm all for trying to get the whistle. Once you get it (or don't), get up and play on...

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Budds said...

Commentator on the Horry thing is Van Gundy, who is quickly becoming the best commentator in basketball.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home