Thursday, January 24, 2008

Star Trek - The Newestest Generation






The trailer for the newest Star Trek movie has finally appeared. I am actually a little excited about this one. Here are some details.

Release Date: December 25, 2008

  • Chris Pine - Kirk
  • Zachary Quinto - Spock
  • Zoe Saldana - Uhura
  • Karl Urban - Bones McCoy
  • John Cho - Sulu
  • Simon Pegg - Scotty
  • Anton Yelchin - Chekov

Some other Characters

  • Eric Bana - Nero
  • Winona Ryder - Amanda Grayson
  • Bruce Greenwood - Christopher Pike
  • Leonard Nimoy - Spock

I like the idea that they went with a generally unknown or little known actors for the primary cast. JJ Abrams is not a director I completely trust. I do like some of the things he has done and I can appreciate that he tries to do things a little different. And after the last Star Trek movie, something different definately needs to be done.

7 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Big Thunder said...

Whoa whoa whoa. When Dave asked me about this, he didn't mention anything about Star Trek posts. I'm going to have to seriously reconsider...

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Dave Law said...

This might not be BT's bag, but I approve. As a graduate of the US Space Academy at Huntsville ("Space Camp"), an attendee and participant in at least 2 Star Trek Conventions and a fan of all optimistic brands of science fiction, I feel compelled to comment. (I was dangerously close to being that kid who video taped his "jedi training" with a broomstick in his garage.)

I love the cast of this movie. I think the actor who plays Sylar on Heroes will be a great Spock.

Also, with Harold from "Harold and Kumar" (he's also the guy who defined MILF in American Pie) and Simon Pegg from Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead, I expect this movie will have a good amount of comedy.

With apologies to BT, I enjoyed this brief foray into sci fi pop culture. The impact of Star Trek on pop culture is significant and the franchise has been dormant for more than a few years now. This movie is very highly anticipated, but I too am nervous about Abrams.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Big Thunder said...

Maybe you are right. Perhaps I should just resign and never visit TGS again...

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Dave Law said...

Live Long and Proper

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Dave Law said...

Prosper

/duh

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Big Thunder said...

You don't even know how to dork properly.

 
At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paramount is pushing back the release of J.J. Abrams' Star Trek from December 25 to May 8, 2009.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home