Sunday, February 11, 2007

SBXLI II (longest post ever)

After 2 days of chipping aways at this post, here are more pics from Dave Law's trip to SuperBowl XLI


Official NFL Pre-Party on Saturday night (cont. from PART I)


Here's Blondie looking like she's literally about to die on stage of old age at the aforementioned NFL pre-party. You've got to love the personal style of that cowgirl from Chicago in the foreground.

Ring from the NY Giants' second SuperBowl victory - tastefully designed.

Ring from the Patriots 3rd SuperBowl victory - obnoxiously large and gaudy - not entirely unlike many Mass-holes I know.

Dave Law cases the ring display and passes out shortly thereafter.



* * *


GAME DAY


The official NFL Tailgate was just as decadent as the NFL Pre-Party on Saturday. There were just as many open bars (all top shelf) at the tailgate as there were at the Saturday night party as well as self-service ice baths (which were continuously being replenished with good beer), wine stations and frozen drink bars (not the best day for a frozen drink, but fun nonetheless). As you can see by the flat-screens behind the pseudo-asian/possibly Hawaiian bartender, the NFL kept with the "throw-back" entertainment at the Tailgate. That's Stevie Nicks up there crooning about a landslide or something. Chris Isaak also performed (or so I'm told).


The paella line was at least 20 midwestern rubes deep, but man was it worth the wait. That chef sure could sling paella.

More NFL Tailgate scenery. Note the carpets, pool tables and lounge furniture. This is all in a parking lot at Dolphins stadium.




* * *



GAME TIME

After Stevie Nicks finished her set (which included way too many unfamiliar "new" songs, i.e., anything after 1982), it was time to enter the Stadium. We had already passed through security on the way into the Tailgate so we had no further impediments between us and the game. I processed this nugget of information and formulated a plan to address my substantial first-half drinking needs. On our way out of the Tailgate and into the stadium, we hit one of the self-service beer baths and loaded Lisa's bag up with some road sodas. Once planted in our seats we didn't have to move again or wait on any beer lines until half-time.

Many fans of TGS who are being introduced to Lisa for the first time through this post may wonder how an average Joe like me is dating a girl as beautiful as Lisa. One answer is my inspired genius in situations like the official NFL Tailgate. (a more elaborate answer includes a dissertation on the many ways I am in fact above average - I'll spare you). Lisa was easily one of the better looking women at the SuperBowl. Plus it's in a setting where there was probably only 1 woman for every 3 guys. In the future I will post on my various strategies for defending my "territory" in social situations which are characterized by a high male-to-female ratio such as sporting events. Needless to say, I had to play a lot of defense. I'm calling on the NFL to hire better-looking female bartenders (see Hawaii 5-0 above) to distract more men and make my job easier.





These pictures give a pretty good indication of how close to the field we actually were. The seats were in Row 13 at about the 35 yard line. Nice ... (read that last word in the voice of Borat)



That girl with Lisa is Colleen, our host from the Buffalo Bills. She couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating. Whenever TGS meets someone from upstate NY, they're warmth reminds TGS of why we never froze while being trained as IVY LEAGUE LAWYERS in the tundra that is Ithaca, NY. Our entire row was filled with folks from the Bills organization. (Golden Nugget: Bills owner Ralph Wilson is an alum of Dave Law's fraternity at UVA.)

Jim Kelly was sitting 3 seats to my right. Having been drinking all day, my teeth began to float right around half-time. The seal was about to be broken. After that I could be getting up every 10 minutes or so (assuming I kept up my torrid drinking pace). I became concerned about how to pass in front of an NFL dignitary and Bills Hall of Famer Jim Kelly. I was faced with the enduring question for sports fans and frequent flyers - ass or crotch? Do I face Mr. Kelly as I pass, thereby showing him my junk, or do I face away from him and show him my backside? Mind you, I was absolutely soaked by the rain and my jeans were clinging to me. At this point, I was too drunk to come up with an answer on my own so I texted my brother and BT to seek their advice.


BT's response: "Start a Hostetler chant!" BT - ever the NFL Historian.


Mike's response: "Ask him to show you his SuperBowl ring. Oh wait! He never won."


No help there. Thanks guys.

CBS stage which collapsed onto itself once the game started. Very cool.



Chris Collinsworth (black cap) was sitting 2 rows in front of us. I was honored to be so close to "greatness". (How do you type sarcasm again?).

The Piano Man singing our National Anthem. The original "She's-With-Him?!?" guy, Billy shared some of tips for defending his territory during the '80s. Of course, his marriage to Christie Brinkley failed, then karma bit her in that sweet little keester of hers when her fourth husband cheated on her with this innocent, 19-year old girl.


Pictures from the Cirque du Soleil pre-game show which can only be described as "faggy".



Kick-off! Famously returned for a touchdown by Devin Hester. That's right, the same SOB who returned a missed field goal for a touchdown against the Giants. I'm not bitter. That runback really fired up the crowd.



Some gratuitous pics of Prince's half-time show.





Final score Indianapolis Colts 29, Chicago Bears 17





Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger Big Thunder said...

You should have walked behind Kelly and given him a "Roman Helmet." I'm not gonna link to it. Look it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home