Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Unofficial First Post (since the official first post was a pun about oral sex)

[Don't be misled by the title -- most of our posts will be puns about oral sex.]

Welcome future Spiketards! This is (unofficially) our introductory post where we ... introduce ... The Golden Spike.

It all started with a dream. Way back in early this afternoon, Dave Law and I were emailing. I said "I want to be like the youngsters. I want to be a weblogger!"

Dave Law said, "Follow your dream, and I'll always be right behind you!"

I said, "Dude, that sounded so gay."

And so, a new blog was born. The first step on our path to superblogstardum was to find a name. I thought to myself, "Big Thunder, Dave Law is in Jersey, and you are in Cali." (I often think to myself in the third person) This muthafucka is gonna be transcontinental! So I emailed my idea to DL -- "Transcontinental Minutiae." Can you tell I'm a lawyer?

Dave Law shot back almost instantaneously with "The Golden Spike," a "reference to the joining of the coasts that's also a BAD sexual pun." (That is truly the quote) You see, I'm more the idea guy, while he is the execution guy.

A quick aside for those of you who didn't graduate grade school: The Golden Spike is a reference to the last spike driven into the Transcontinental Railroad, connecting east with west. The railroad was supported principally by four western railroad magnates known as "The Big Four." Therefore, Dave Law and I are to be known collectively as "The Big Two."

And so, a legend was born, and a generation of future Spiketards are unwittingly affected by the witty charm of two regular Joes (well, IVY LEAGUERS, but still in touch with the common man) and their laptops.

So let's get the basics down. This is my mission statement for TGS. These are the types of posts I imagine we'll have:
  • Funny news stories, photos, videos, and other funny internet links
  • Personal stories and anecdotes
  • Reviews and opinions on tv shows, movies, books, music, etc.
  • Some sports content
  • Discussion of other general leisure topics -- vacation destinations, cars, poker, clothes
  • Possibly some location-specific posts, such as discussion of things to do, places to eat and drink, and things to see in San Francisco and North Jersey

You know -- a blog. Aside from that, there are two other types of post that may make this blog unique.

First, I am a believer in the force of peer pressure. Therefore, I think the blog could be a good tool for self-improvement. I'm considering using it to track my progress as I work to achieve goals - losing weight, running another half marathon, writing a novel, etc.

Along the lines of that last goal, I'm also considering using TGS as a place to publish some creative writing - humor along the lines of that found in McSweeney's, possibly short stories, and maybe even excerpts from my next novel.

I'm also expecting Dave Law to chime in often, usually with stories about himself.

All that said, I think we'll be quite amused when we look back at this post in 2 years, after the Spike has turned into the world's foremost blog on model ceramic lighthouses. That Barbara bitch is going down.

----------

OK, I'll start with the first content now, a music recommendation. Check out "Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. Izzy K was this ginormously huge Hawaiian dude who made this ridiculously soulful Hawaiian / ukelele / luau type of music. The song is a medley of two classics, and it makes you feel like you are on the beach. Get it from itunes, stat.

4 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Budds said...

Dear lord, Thunder, Lady Thunder was write about your extensive blogging research. And by the by, the Troy pictures make me wonder if Helen could still launch a thousand ships.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Big Thunder said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Big Thunder said...

Its not "Lady Thunder," its "Lil' Thunder." And yes, this "blogging" stuff takes time!

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Orervethemype [url=https://launchpad.net/~codeine-tuco]Buy Codeine no prescription[/url] [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-mobic-without-no-prescription-online]Buy Mobic without no prescription online[/url]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home